Here’s the announcement letter for IBM XWork Server:
IBM XWork Server 8.5.3 is a competitively priced offering that leverages IBM XPages technology. It allows an application developer to quickly and easily create rich web applications with a Web 2.0 application look and feel. With XWork Server, business partners and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) get a low cost rapid application development platform that provides:
- A tailored solution that rapidly delivers business objectives
- Access to collaborative and social solutions via web and mobile
- Good looking collaborative and social applications with a rich user experience
- Solutions based on a proven technology
- Solutions with built-in enterprise grade security
- Solutions at a lower cost
IBM XWork Server delivers an attractive pricing and packaging approach for XPages technology via a lower, fixed term license cost. This offering is designed for ISVs and business partners who need a well priced and easy-to-sell XPages based offering that highlights their cutting edge skills and allows them to quickly develop and deliver off the shelf or custom web and mobile solutions to new and existing customers.
Leveraging IBM XWork XPages Application Server for your social applications will help you:
- Extend applications to web and mobile devices for productivity anywhere
- Integrate multiple enterprise information sources into a single view for better decision making
- Connect applications to social communities for broader knowledge sharing
XWork Server leverages XPages technology from Lotus Domino and Domino Designer 8.5.3.
The key from my perspective is that this offering helps to leverage (to use that ghastly word!) XPages technology for business applications, whilst also still fully supporting traditional Domino apps. There’s nothing to stop an organisation using XWork Server to host a mixture of XPages and classic, anonymous and authenticated, clustered and standalone applications. There is real flexibility built in to the license agreement, and that is terrific.
IBM XWork Server is scheduled to be available on 7th October 2011.