Big IBM Rational announcements made at the Innovate conference today:
The new software offerings are built on Jazz, IBM’s open software development platform that supports sharing and interactions among software and systems design and development teams. New features allow developers to interact quickly; share data instantaneously from any source in the development process and connect teams and development communities in new ways.
Collaborative Design Management: Enables teams to integrate designs seamlessly with other development tasks and information, such as requirements, code, and quality management assets. The benefits of this approach enhance the traceability of all actions, allowing their impact on the process to be analyzed. Team members and other stakeholders can review, contribute and change solution designs with complete transparency to every participant in the project. This is achieved through a central design hub where designs can be stored, maintained, and referenced for future reuse, documentation and compliance.
- With the Collaborative Design Management capability, delivered through new offerings of IBM’s Rational Rhapsody Design Manager and Rational Software Architect Design Manager, designs no longer have to exist in isolation on an architect’s or developer’s desktop. They can now be part of an open ecosystem using a simple, Web-based user interface that allows extended team members and stakeholders to build earlier consensus, prevent costly project misdirection, and improve the software and systems delivery from start to finish.
Collaborative Lifecycle Management: The IBM Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management helps software development teams improve their productivity by offering an integrated application lifecycle management (ALM) solution to avoid the pitfalls of working in silos with broken communication, which results in project delays, low quality or budget overruns.
- The new Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management brings together IBM Rational Requirements Composer, IBM Rational Team Concert and IBM Rational Quality Manager in a unified development platform to encourage cross-functional collaboration, helping teams improve their time-to-delivery, quality, product value and predictability.
- New features for the IBM Smart Business Desktop on the IBM Cloud empower users with new virtual desktop solutions, providing the enhanced features of Rational Application Developer and Rational Software Architect developers.
- New integrations between IBM Connections social networking software for business and IBM Rational Team Concert allow software developers to use social networking to find experts within an organization and help collaborate with stakeholders on software development projects.
Collaborative Development and Operations: New technologies, such as cloud computing, workload optimization and Agile development are driving the need for development and operations to work more closely than ever before. IBM has created new integrations between many of its leading software offerings that can significantly assist in bridging the cultural divide between development and operation teams.
- A new Deployment Planning & Automation solution enables clients to reduce reworking projects through standardized processes and allows automation for deploying software. Existing development assets can be reused, regardless of whether they reside on the cloud or on-site servers.
- To improve the identification and remediation of potential problems and issues, IBM has developed an OSLC-based integration between the IT operations ticketing system, Tivoli Service Request Manager, and the development team solution, Rational Team Concert. This allows IT operations staff to enter defect and enhancement requests directly into the software development tracking system.
Looking forward to seeing the enhanced integration between IBM Connections and Rational Team Concert.