Interesting announcement of enhancements to System i 7.1, including:
- DB2® for i provides enhanced monitoring, performance, and security.
- IBM® i supports the new IBM Power® 710, 720, 730, 740, 750, and 760 POWER7+™ models.
- Use of USB attached flash drives is now supported.
- Latest industry standards of Transport Layer Security version 1.2 (TLSv1.2) and Transport Layer Security version 1.1 (TLSv1.1) protocols implemented.
- IBM PowerHA® SystemMirror® for i LUN (logical unit) switching supports new external storage.
- System Management tasks are significantly improved with OnDemand Administration in IBM Content Manager OnDemand for i.
- HMC functions simplify setup and partition installation.
- Error detection in Systems Director Manager is extended.
- IBM Mobile Database mobile option for accessing data supports DB2 for i.
- Zend Server for IBM i Version 6 supports development of mobile applications and advanced application management
However, this line way down the document could make the biggest splash of all:
IBM plans to expand the IBM Connections supported server platforms to include support of IBM i.
No idea on dates yet, but this is big news for all System i customers.
IBM plans to provide IBM i native support for Lotus Notes® Traveler on IBM i 6.1, 7.1, and later. With the IBM i native support, IBM i users would be able to deploy Lotus Notes Traveler server on IBM i to keep a consolidated and simplified environment.
This is fantastic – Domino, Sametime and now Traveler and Connections on the System i platform. Choice for customers and great performance and reliability for end users.
Kudos to Steve Pitcher for helping to make this happen. I know Sharon is going to be very very excited!