- Don’t do it if you don’t enjoy it.
- Be visible – get out there and sell yourself.
- Choose your name wisely.
- You can’t run a business without taking risks.
- The first impression is everything. So is the second.
- Perfection is unattainable.
- The customer is always right, most of the time.
- Define your brand.
- Explore uncharted territory – lots of things haven’t yet been discovered.
- Beware the “us vs. them” environment.
- Build a corporate comfort zone – so people can openly express themselves without rigid confines.
- Not everyone is suited to be a CEO.
- Seek a second opinion. Seek a third.
- Cut ties without burning bridges.
- Pick up the phone – don’t text or email when you should be calling.
- Change shouldn’t be feared, but it should be managed.
- When it comes to making mistakes, bounce back, don’t fall down.
- Be a leader, not a boss.
– Richard Branson
I was reminded of this list by a friend just this morning, so noting it here. It’s remarkable how consistently accurate and relevant the advice has proven to be over the years.